Musings at Reaching Fifty

8 October 2017

Turning Golden on the High Seas



About ten days ago, on September 28, 2017, I celebrated my golden birthday, sailing on the high seas (Straits of Malacca), in a huge ship (known as the Mariner of the Seas), with one of my best friends, who is also the one person who has known me for the past 50 years of my life, and even carried me within her for nine months before I was born! I’ve always loved the sea and ships, so it was a wonderful way to celebrate my golden birthday on the waters in the company of my beloved 85-going-on-58 mother, who, after I succeeded in rock climbing on board, said to me, “I should have also tried climbing!” I always associated cruises with retirees, only to realize that I’m not too far from being considered a senior citizen! Yet it was a trip for all ages, with such a variety of activities and entertainment. And this quote came to mind as we sailed across the waters, "You can never cross the ocean, unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

It would have been ideal if the rest of the family had joined us but we hadn’t really planned this way in advance, so schedules were not able to align. Nevertheless, I did have a beautiful advance celebration for this milestone birthday with my family on the eve of our departure, besides a few other advance celebrations with good friends as well as my community of Sisters.



Thoughts on reaching 50

So a friend whatsapped me this question: What are your thoughts on reaching the big 50? What are your dreams for the next decade?

This was my reply:
“Live life to the full babe! I’m just grateful to reach this age with no major health issues….
I guess each year after this is a bonus. And I will try to be grateful for every single day.
And try not to be petty over things and look on the bright and positive side of things.
Not just “letting go,” but also “let it be.”
Just praying too that I don’t get too forgetful. My mom says I’m getting forgetful these days!”

I am truly grateful to reach 50. Having lost two classmates who passed away in their 40s due to illness, and 2 of our Sisters among the Daughters of St Paul, who were close to me, also succumbing to cancer, I realize how blessed I am to be alive today, and how precious and fragile life is.

Thus I just want to say THANK YOU to each of you who have been part of my journey these past 50 years of my life! And whether you are under or over 50, it does not really matter, as age is after all just a number. I’m blessed to have each of you in my life and I’m truly grateful to God for enriching my life with great friends and family like you!


My dream or wish for this decade of my life is to grow in faith, and be an instrument of God’s peace and love, wherever He/She sends me. I pray that for each of you too.

Lots of love with prayers,
Wendy
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment